Redhead Mountain Bike Park
Welcome to Redhead Mountain Bike Park - (Temporarily CLOSED)
VISITOR NOTICE (5/30/2023): ALL TRAILS OPEN. Water recreation rentals (canoes & kayaks), shuttle service begin June 1st (or as available). The Redhead dock has been installed.
- Redhead merchandise available inside the Minnesota Discovery Center Gift Shop (All purchases support Redhead trail maintenance).
- 30 West Bike Shop - NOW OPEN TUESDAY-SUNDAY- located inside Minnesota Discovery Center Summer Admissions Entrance.
Redhead MTB Park is a public park free to ride and is open 7-days a week excluding rain days and/or seasonal change over. The park is closed for seasonal transition and will reopen in sometime in May (weather permitting).Come discover the new world-class Redhead Mountain Bike Park at the Minnesota Discovery Center (MDC) in Chisholm, MN. Carved from the walls of an abandoned water-filled iron ore mine pit, Redhead offers outdoor enthusiast an oasis of fun year-round. Redhead has something for everyone – with 25-miles of hand crafted, purpose built mountain bike trails already on the ground and more on the way. Difficulty ranges from beginner to expert level with a wide array of terrain features and options for riders to test out their skills. Adventure seekers can also hike on designated trails as well as kayak, canoe, paddle board, and swim!
“The Redhead Mountain Bike Park, being built on 1,225-acres of former Iron Range mineland, is shaping up to arguably be the most scenic and unequaled mountain bike park in the Midwest.” – Business North
Trailhead Facility Hours (MDC)
MDC Trailhead Facility Summer Hours:
Tuesday: 9 am - 6 pm
Wednesday: 9 am - 6 pm
Thursday: 9 am - 8 pm
Friday: 9 am - 6 pm
Saturday: 9 am - 6 pm
Sunday: 9 am - 6 pm
Redhead MTB Park is now on the Trailforks APP or online at www.trailforks.com!
Have questions? Scroll down for some FAQs and area lodging. If your question isn't listed, give us a call at 218-254-7959, send us an email at email@example.com, or send us a message on Facebook!
Riding Redhead? Share the experience by tagging your photos! @redheadmtbpark @mndiscoverycenter on Facebook | @MNDiscoveryCtr on Twitter!
Download Winter and Summer Maps Below
Click here to download the Redhead Winter Map
Click here to download the Redhead MTB Park Summer Map
The Chisholm Inn and Suites (directly across Hwy. 169 from Redhead MTB Park) is offering visitors coming up to experience the new park, 10% off rooms. Call 218-254-2000 for more information. Click the link below to check out additional lodging options.
Chisholm Iron Trail Camp Ground less than 2 miles from the trailhead offering 35 full hookup (electricity, water, sewer), 14 sites with (electricity & water) and 7 tent sites.
Iron Range Tourism: Click here to check out more campgrounds, hotels, and resorts for the perfect accommodations.
Redhead Trails FAQs:
- Where is the Redhead Trail Entrance? At the MN Discovery Center in Chisholm, MN (1005 Discovery Drive Chisholm, MN 55719).
- When is the bike trail open? The first 20+ miles of the trails are currently open from dawn to dusk 7 days a week. Another 5 miles is being completed (The Rim Trail, remains closed and will open sometime in June).
- When can I ride the trails? Riders can enjoy the bike trails from sunrise to sunset 7-days a week. The trails are closed when there is significant rainfall and remain closed for at least 6 hours after rainfall or until dry.
- Do I have to pay to use the bike trails? Nope! You will only pay if you’d like to go through the MN Discovery Center museum and exhibits.
- What other uses does Redhead allow (i.e. hiking, walking, etc.)? Each trail has designated use signage. A majority allow walking/hiking but not all. No motorized vehicles. E bikes are allowed. Trail running is allowed. No public driving of vehicles in the park. Dogs allowed but must be leashed (6ft or less) and cleaned up after. Kayaking, swimming, paddle boarding, canoeing coming June/July 2021.
- What should I do in an emergency at Redhead MTB Park? Please call 911 for all emergencies.
- Is Redhead Mountain Bike Park available on Trailforks? Yes! We are also on base camp. For additional trail condition updates, follow Redhead MTB Park and Iron Range Off Road Cyclists (IROC) on Facebook and Instagram.
- What should I do if I see an issue on Redhead? Download the free Trailforks app. All issues can be reported on the app as a user. Or you can report to MN Discovery Center (during our open hours). IROC prefers the app as the volunteers can be notified right away and go out to fix it. Trails are inspected weekly by IROC volunteers.
- Who owns and maintains the Redhead Mountain Bike Park? – Redhead is a cooperative effort between IROC, The City of Chisholm, and The Minnesota Discovery Center. The Funding for the trail system came from the Department of Iron Range Resources which utilizes taxes generated by mining to foster vibrant growth and economic prosperity in northeastern Minnesota. The City of Chisholm owns the Redhead Mountain Bike Trails. Iron Range Off-Road Cyclists (IROC) maintains general maintenance. If any technical maintenance is needed, the City of Chisholm will call the appropriate vendor. The MN Discovery Center is the trailhead facility.
- Is Redhead MTB Park open year-round? Yes, Redhead will be open year-round with a closure in early spring and late fall early winter. Not all trails will be open during winter months. Allowable uses include: fat biking, snowshoeing.
- Can you ride normal bikes on in the park? Yes, but your experience will be a little more difficult without the suspension and weight of a mountain bike.
- Where can I learn more about Redhead Mountain Bike Park? IROC’s website at irocmtb.com or their facebook page IROC MTB.
- Do you have bike rentals? 30West is the Minnesota Discovery Center’s onsite bike shop with certified bike repair, gear, and bike rentals! 30West Fitness & Rec will have an online reservation system on their website and will encourage people to book online and in advance.
- Do you have water recreation rentals? The Minnesota Discovery Center offers kayak and canoe rentals as well as a shuttle service to the beach area and southern side of the park.
- Do you have bathrooms? There are two outdoor bathrooms at the trailhead and one Porta Potty out at Glen Location. The restrooms at the MN Discovery Center will be available for use during our open hours.
- Is there camping or lodging around? The City of Chisholm campground is open for seasonal booking and are getting it ready to open for reservations. The Chisholm Inn & Suites is a hotel right across the highway from the MN Discovery Center. We are looking for more camping opportunities in the future.
- Do you have any bike supplies in your gift shop? Yes, our gift shop will offer a variety of bike parts.